Founded in 1999, SurveyMonkey changed the way people gather feedback by making it easy for anyone to create their own online surveys. Today, SurveyMonkey’s mission is to power curious individuals and organizations to measure, benchmark and act on the opinions that drive success. Our People Powered Data platform enables conversations at scale to deliver impactful customer, employee and market insights. The company’s 700+ employees are dedicated to fueling the curiosity of over 16 million active users globally. For more information about SurveyMonkey, please visit surveymonkey.com.
We are re-architecting our multi-user team platform to provide our enterprise customers with administration and collaboration capabilities. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer who has a real passion for solving complex technical problems. We work closely with our product owners and our customers, iterating quickly to ensure we build the best solution for our users.
In this role, you will:
- Architect, build, and maintain our enterprise services across multiple data regions
- Top-to-bottom ownership of new features, including crafting technical specs, writing readable and extendible code, and keeping tabs on post-release metrics
- Design fault tolerant systems that can scale, and allow us to move quickly without impacting customer access
- Build observable systems that track important metrics and automatically notifies when something is off
- Investigate and address issues with performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Participate in code reviews
- Mentor and guide engineers on best practices
- 12+ years of experience with backend web application development (we use Python)
- Able to write efficient SQL queries and design schemas for relational databases (MySQL and MSSQL experience is a plus)
- Culture of code reviews, writing tech specs, and collaborating closely with other people (not a solo hacker)
- Ability to work on in agile environments with frequent deployments
- Be self-motivated and have a strong work ethic; willing to go the extra mile when it’s crunch time
- Practices automated testing, believes and enforces good code quality and best engineering practices
- Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience with multi-region data center architecture
- Experience working with a distributed service-oriented architecture
- Experience building admin features in SaaS applications
- Experience with modern security and access control practices
- Experience with continuous integration (frequent deployments)
- Experience with GraphQL
- Material contributions to open source projects
- Linux (Ubuntu) configuration and administration
Must be able to obtain and hold government security clearance at the Reliability level.
At SurveyMonkey, we offer competitive salaries, medical/dental benefits, PTO, RRSP matching, and equity compensation.
SurveyMonkey is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.